The Many Adventures of Lil Bud

My life stories do not reflect the ideas, feelings, nor position of the Peace Corps nor US gov't and should be regarded as separate and private.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Freezin' in Texas

Can you believe it?!? I came to Texas so see my long lost family...and it's snowing! Must have brought it with me I'm told...they'd probably love me in Paraguay if I brought a little cold weather ;p Checked it out today and the high is 96, low is 74. Sounds pretty decent for sleeping though.

It's been great being here! My mom and I are staying with my Aunt Nancy and Uncle Dale and I've had the chance to catch up with all my cousins (4) and numerous second cousins (there are 20!). It's been 15 years since I was in Lubbock, so lots has changed. My Aunt Nancy has been working on our family history (geneology) for some years -it's pretty cool (although some of it is embarrassing). I'm looking forward to helping fill in any gaps I can in the years to come and learning more about what we already know. We're traced back to the Cherokees (one of our ancestors was a chief!) on one side (grandmother's), but haven't gotten that far back yet on the other side (grandaddy's). So I have to ask...do you know where YOU come from? ;p

Hopefully I'll be able to fly home tomorrow...the south doesn't take too kindly to snow and they're not sure what to do about it. I'll be heading to Chicago just in time for some wintery weather there too...gotta get it in now I suppose - don't think I'll be seeing snow for the next couple years unless I head into the mountains.

Hope you all have power and heat (or at least a fire or someone to snuggle with)....cause if you don't already have it, the cold weather is coming!

Acgue,
Dances in the Snow

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have OTHER cousins? yeah right.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Cherokee? nice. So you alluded to something embarassing...what is it? Do tell.

I know where I come from. I'm ALL Slavic. My family's recently new to this country. Mom's side since the 1860s and Dad's side since the early 1900s. Directly from Europe...Proves that I'm not responsible for owning slaves! :-)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Lor said...

Ahh...Jeff, you hit the embarassing item on the head - we had plantations...in the south...during the days of slavery...yep.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home